If you’re planning to go walking on Dartmoor, it’s important to dress appropriately for the weather conditions and terrain. Dartmoor is known for its changeable weather, so it’s important to be prepared for all eventualities.
Here are some general tips on what to wear when walking on Dartmoor:
- Layers: Wear layers of clothing that you can easily remove or add as the temperature changes. A waterproof and windproof outer layer is essential, as is a warm mid-layer for colder days.
- Waterproof footwear: Invest in a good pair of waterproof walking boots or shoes that have good grip and ankle support. The terrain on Dartmoor can be rugged and uneven, so it’s important to have sturdy footwear.
- Hat and gloves: Even in the summer months, it can get chilly on Dartmoor, so bring a hat and gloves to keep you warm.
- Sun protection: In the summer months, the sun can be very strong, but often a breeze or wind on the open moor can make it appear cooler, so wear sunscreen and a hat to protect your skin.
- Navigation equipment: Make sure you bring a map and compass and know how to use them. A GPS device can also be useful, but it’s important to have a backup in case the batteries run out.
- Backpack: Bring a small backpack to carry your water, snacks, and any extra clothing layers you might need.
Remember to check the weather forecast before setting out and always let someone know your route and expected return time. Happy walking!