Wild Camping, Backpack Camping
Where can you go to enjoy wild-camping on Dartmoor?
What is backpack or wild camping?
If you can carry everything you need in your backpack as part of a Dartmoor walking expedition, you can backpack camp for one or two nights in some areas of open moorland, well away from roads or settlements using a ‘no impact’ approach.
Planning and preparation is essential for this type of activity. This includes having the right equipment and navigational skills to survive safely ‘well away from civilisation’ for a couple of days, and crucially, knowing where you are allowed to camp. This is the only type of camping permitted, however it is not permitted everywhere in the National Park.
- You can backpack camp on some parts of Dartmoor by carrying your own equipment as part of your walk and staying one or two nights max.
- You can only do this in certain areas.
- Be mindful of spoiling the views or walks for other people.
- No overnight stays in vehicles.
- No large tents or large groups camping.
- Leave no trace – don’t light fires and take all your rubbish home with you